How does the billing process work?
Billing for physical therapy services is similar to what happens at any medical facility. When you are seen for treatment, the following occurs:
- The clinic bills your insurance company, Workers' Comp Co., or charges you directly based on Common Procedure Terminology (CPT) codes.
- Those codes are either mailed or electronically communicated to the payer.
- The payer processes the information and makes payments according to an agreed upon fee schedule.
- An Explanation of Benefits (EOB) is generated and sent to the patient and to Lone Peak Physical Therapy with a check for payment and a balance due by the patient.
- A statement for the balance due will then be mailed to the patient. Payments can be made online or by mailing a check or credit card information from the billing statement.
It is important to understand that there are many steps (beyond the outline provided above) within the process. Their are exceptions to the above example as well. At times information may be missing, miscommunicated, or misunderstood, which can delay the payment process. In the majority of cases, the billing process is completed in 60 days or less.
Please give Patient Services a call with any billing questions you might have: 406.522.7488.